Project: Summer 30
Drink – Thalicha Mor
Thalicha mor is seasoned buttermilk which is a traditional thirst quencher. Once upon a time, there used to be a lot of ‘Mor Pandal’ (small free buttermilk stalls) with pots of buttermilk that is usually seasoned, that’ll fall in your sight while travelling during summers especially near the bus stands and temples; that has almost become a history now (like our post offices) with the advent of bottled cold drinks. Satiating someone’s thirst is known to be such a noble gesture that usually the rich members of the society assume this responsibility of providing this cooling thirst quenchers in their neighborhood under a small thatched roof stall throughout the summer. Here is the recipe of a simple seasoned buttermilk.
Kural # 3:
மலர்மிசை ஏகினான் மாணடி சேர்ந்தார்
நிலமிசை நீடுவாழ் வார்.
Meaning: One who surrenders to the God that lives in his/ her heart shall live a long happy life.
- 1. Curds - 1 cup
- 2. Salt as per taste
- 3. Oil - 1/2 tbsp
- 4. Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- 5. Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
- 6. Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- 7. Green chilli - 1
- 8. Ginger - 1"
- 9. Asafoetida - 2 pinches
- 10. Coriander - few sprigs
- Take curds in a jug and whip it till smooth (we use a wooden matthu and call the process mor silupurathu). Add salt and dilute it with double or even triple the amount water as curds.
- Now heat oil in a seasoning ladle and temper with mustard seeds, cumin seeds, chopped green chilli, grated ginger, curry leaves, asafoetida in that order.
- Pour the seasoning into the prepared buttermilk and add chopped coriander and stir well.
- Stir well before serving.
- * Can use ice cubes if necessary.
- * Buttermilk tastes good with as much dilution.