Project: Summer 30
Drink – Panneer Soda
Goli Soda is being relished for around one and a half centuries and Panneer Soda version of goli soda is quite famous in Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh. Though it is surviving in the market even after carbonated drinks from MNC have come, it’s market fell down steeply especially because it is taken up by unorganized manufacturers that follow unhygienic processes. So, why don’t we make it at home and enjoy the nostalgia with a hygienic and healthy preparation ?! I am generally not a fan of fizzy drink but this one is an exception and made purely for a kick. However, I have added rose water instead of rose essence that indeed cools the body and so this drink is a double thumps-up if made with plain chilled water (but that may not give you the kick of soda).
Good quality rose water is actual rose extract while essence is usually only chemical composition that gives rose flavor; so, usage of rose water gives cooling effect to the body. Also there is an after taste when essence is used particularly in drinks. You may need to use approximately thrice or four times of rose water to replace rose essence.
Disclaimer: Panneer Soda is not a healthy cold drink and especially kids & pregnant women are not advised to have it.
Kural # 8:
அறவாழி அந்தணன் தாள்சேர்ந்தார்க் கல்லால்
பிறவாழி நீந்தல் அரிது.
Unless on seeks the feet of Him that is the ocean of virtues, he/ she shall not swim across the sea of life.
- 1. Sugar - 3/4 cup
- 2. Water - 1 cup
- 3. Rose water - 20 ml
- 4. Chilled carbonated water - as required
- 5. Rose petals for garnish (optional)
- Boil the water with sugar until it becomes sticky. Let it cool down.
- Add rose water and refrigerate until serving.
- To serve add the rose water - sugar syrup in a glass around 4 tbsp and fill glass with carbonated water.
- Serve immediately.
- * Can add few drops of rose essence if you want more intense flavor.
- * If you get the edible variety rose, petals can be used as garnish over the drink.