Paanagam is a cooling drink that is had during summers and my grandma used to tell that this was, in the olden served as welcome drink during a wedding ceremony called ‘samandham kalandhal’ which is when the families agree upon an alliance and step forward. It is very simple to make and quite refreshing.
A Traditional Chiller
- 1. Jaggery – 1 cup
- 2. Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- 3. Dry ginger powder – 1 tsp
- 4. Lemon – 1
- 5. Salt – 1 pinch
- 6. Tulsi – 10-15 leaves
- 7. Water – 1 litre
- 8. Edible Camphor - 1 pinch
- Dissolve jaggery in water and filter to remove debris in it.
- Now add salt, cardamom powder, dry ginger powder, edible camphor, juice of a lemon, crushed tulsi leaves and mix well
- Refrigerate and serve chilled. Avoid adding ice cubes as it may dilute the taste.
- * Jaggery can be replaced with palm jaggery for more cooling effect and health benefits.
Grammars of cooking http://grammarsofcooking.in/
Shikanji is nothing but a north Indian version of lemonade. None can resist having a tall glass of chilled shikanji on a hot summer day but even otherwise will you? I learnt this version from my roommate, Nidhi a friend as cool as lemonade itself. I may get addicted to it after tasting once.
1. Lemon – 1
2. Sugar – 1 1/2 tbsp
3. Black salt – 1 pinch
4. Ice cubes – 4
5. Water – 1 glass
Step 1: In ¼ glass of water dissolve sugar completely and then mix black salt to it.
Step 2: Now squeeze lemon juice into it
Step 3: Add water to fill the glass
Step 4: Serve with excess ice cubes